So we had the awesome chance to drive up to Utah to see awesome Uncle Stevie marry awesome Aunt Liz and see amazing Uncle Chris come home from his mission. We were due to leave super early on a Saturday morning, so Friday I was doing a lot of trip preparations and packing.
Z was going through a phase where he liked to sit on the railing like he was riding a horse and watch what was going upstairs. Occasionally he would wiggle like he was riding a horse and then he would start to loose his balance and then he would get himself down. Getting up to getting down took about a total of 90 seconds. I would look at him as he was playing trains or something, I would put something away and he was already up there- I would then hear a 'whoa' in the background so I would check on him and he would be climbing down. Keep in mind this action of climbing up there was not condoned! Many time I would scold and occasionally swat a little boy for doing such things. I would (or try to) impress upon his little brain that this was NOT as safe activity and that he would get a big owie. After shoving this (obviously un-successfully) into his brain I would redirect him to something that was safe. On floor. Away from the stairs.
This was the case this Friday afternoon the day before we were leaving for 2 weeks. After redirecting him, I ran downstairs for a minute, the next thing I know I hear a HUGE thump followed by a series of smaller thumps (I recognized these as 'falling down stairs thumps') and then a wail and scream/cry like no other. It was that moment I knew I would be going to the ER with Z. Again.
I rush upstairs as he is coming to me with his blankets he went and got and climbed into my lap and just cried. I could tell he hurt but he wouldn't let me move him to find out where. I could tell it wasn't his legs or arms- so part of me was hoping he just got the air knocked out of him. I knew that wasn't a likely option but I was hoping!
As I was calming him down I smelled him.
So I was changing him and every time I moved his upper body- he would burst into tears again. It was so sad! I called Mr. Manly and told him I thought we needed to go to the ER- he came home and was feeling his bones and didn't feel anything, at this point he had calmed down and was able and willing to sit on the couch. I was still un-sure. I call magnificent Aunt Mallory who happens to be a ER nurse and described the reactions and situation and she agreed with my guess- he broke his collar bone. To test this theory (and I still feel bad about this) we nicely held his right hand and held a piece of candy. He tried reaching for it with the bad side and broke down sobbing.
After a quick call to the hospital and a blessing- we heading to the ER. Again.
The only pictures we got were in the waiting room. They took us in, x-rayed him and then we sat on the little bed and waited for the Dr. to come in and confirm the break.
Poor guy really handled it like a champ. He was so tough and proud- it kind of made my mommy heart proud!
They just told me to give him medicine for the pain and then gave him an 'eight brace' to wear. They told me that most kids hate them and it's a fight. But really he did so well with it, he liked to wear it. I think I helped it feel better. So it was really nice that he never fought us about wearing it.
Six weeks later we went to the Dr- and he said it looked so awesome that in another 5 years you won't even be able to tell it was broken! So that was awesome! He then said that we can either take the brace off, or leave it on if it slows him down or makes him more careful. We then both looked at Z and laughed and said fat chance of him slowing down! So then the brace came off!
After the break- he has been a bit more careful. But he also acquired the talent of doing things one armed.
Z- I am glad you are mine. I love you dearly. But you better be rich so I can live off of you- you owe me!!

No comments:
Post a Comment