So as a mom, I have tried to instill in my boys the importance of NOT hitting each other. That is not a good and appropriate way to express yourself. Well, all that changes the moment you go to a belt test. You are yelling at the top of your lungs to hit harder and faster. *hanging head in shame while red-faced* It was intense.
The first part they are asked question about terminology and history. Not bad. Rather easy at this level.
after the mental test. They have the physical test.
Oh. My.
This was back in November too- my heart still races when I think about it, or the next belt test!
So for the belt test- the one testing, in this case the awesome little guy in the black shirt and red shorts with a blue helmet is set up against 3 White belts (level '1').
He fights them for like 3 minutes.
Now, let me tell you, as a mom- this is close to torcher. Watching bigger, 'better' kids punch and kick your baby is SO. NOT. COOL.
After he totally kicks those 3 kids' trash, he is then put in the ring with 3 Yellow (level 2) and Orange (level 3) belts. Now if you thought your anxiety was high with the White belt kids. Now it doubles. These kids are bigger and faster and, well, better! Again 3 minutes of me breaking all the rules I've ever tried to instill in my child and tell him to punch faster and harder and kick higher and harder.
After the Yellow and Orange it is the Red, Green, and Blue (4,5, and 6).
Yeah. No pictures. I was focused on him And making sure he was kicking and punching hard. With the occasional ducking.
Well all that was fine and dandy until it was the last step. The Black and Brown belts. Oh. My. Golly. 10 of them. against ONE!!!! Ugh.
(In all honesty the Black and Brown belts are very careful and helpful to the kids. All of them are very careful with each other and there are judges there to make sure it's all kosher. But still....)
I think I was more nervous during that than he was. He really did great when he wasn't 'evading' attacks!
He passed with flying colors. He did everything he was supposed to and did it well!
(One of the reasons behind these 'group attacks' is to build confidence. To show the kids they can handle things when there are many different things coming at you. It worked. He was so pleased with himself afterwards!)
Here he is all tired during the ceremony.
Here he is receiving his belt.
and getting it tied.
One thing that was really cute- during their warm ups- they had to run laps. They are supposed to count the laps they do. EVERYONE ran 5 laps. When they called his name to see how many he ran, he was all nervous and forgot how many so he just said 30!!!! We decided he would be moved to Olympic training if it happened again!
Here are two of his instructors.
Daddy, Mommy, and (tired-of-pictures-but-very-excited) Chunk.
Here is our friend B- she has been our friend for many years and came and helped Chunk on night before the test to make sure his Katas and such were all correct. He was so glad she came and helped! We love B!!
All in all it was a great experience. Chunk has really loved karate and I think it has helped him also. He truly strives to please his instructors and he is learning to pace himself and be disciplined. I like the confidence he is learning.
We are so proud of this boy! For doing something he was scared about and working hard to be good at it. I love that he now has the confidence to show his brothers what to do and how to do it. I love that he is learning. I love how it is making him think more and work and grow.
GREAT JOB CHUNK!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment